I read a large number of blogs on a wide variety of subjects in different niches. Aside from subject matter there are some things that are likely to encourage me to become a regular reader. That line of thinking made me wonder about my readers.
What do you look for in a blog?
Which blog features are must haves?
What does it take to entice you into becoming a regular reader?
I’m inviting you to add to the list I have begun below.
The character of the blogger is the most important thing to me. I like to feel there’s a real person behind the words reaching out to me, to move and touch me with their own unique experience and vision of life.
- is an authentic person who is both passionate and knowledgeable about their topic without being condescending
- is original with a feisty spirit of can do
- provides a profile and a statement of purpose for the blog
- states how frequently new content is usually published
- provides links to sites with high quality resources in posts and in blogroll
- provides contact information
- responds to readers’ comments
When it comes to the blogs that I return to again and again, just to see what’s new, it is inevitably because the author has captured my interest.
- minimalist, non-cluttered design
- pleasing and restful to the eye
- frames content
- intuitive and easily navigated
- provides a way to subscribe by RSS feed and/or email
- content is front and center
- uncluttered sidebars
- easy to use commenting setup
- lacks distracting pop-ups or auto-play music
- lacks advertising
- or has minimal advertising and placement of advertising does not outrank the placement of blog content
I look for common sense, researched information and true feelings expressed.
- an attention grabbing title that accurately reflects the content
- original and unique
- is free of typos, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors
- post length preferences vary from reader to reader – some prefer brevity and simplicity- content presented in bullet points – structured in short paragraphs with space between them, others prefer longer more comprehensive posts
- has substance
- is updated regularly
- informs or teaches me something
- entertains me
- contains humor (clean)
- inspires me
- challenges me
- contains an invitation to participate in discussion and helps readers add to the content of the post, so everyone benefits
- has a graphic or photo to add some visual interest
- quality writing and stimulating content, presented without distraction
- high quality writing written in an engaging style that flows
- contains links for verifiability, acknowledgment, examples, and context.
Quirk. Eccentricity. Genius. Content I won’t find anywhere else.
That extra ‘something’ of time, effort, engagement, competence, caring, a world view that is worth respecting – those are the kinds of things I look for in a blog.
Appreciation for the contributing bloggers:
Related posts found in this blog: