Blogging is big. As I have been exploring blogging demographics, particularly the influx of the silver surfers into the blogosphere and social networks I viewed the infographic (click the image to enlarge) with great interest. What surprised me most was that 54% of bloggers surveyed describe themselves as an “expert”. What do we make of this?
Defining a blogging expert
Blogging Style: Confessional, Snarky, Journalistic, Expert, Humorous, or Sincere?
An expert is a person with special knowledge or ability who performs skillfully.
An expert is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of or skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by their peers or the public in a specific well-distinguished domain. … en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert
Who are blogging experts and which blogs are the top blogs?
Become a blogging expert
One of the best ways to build a home-based enterprise is to become an expert in your field. The word “expert” is a keyword for branding and optimization purposes. Bloggers are advised to focus on building a brand by establishing themselves as experts with authority in the niche they are entering.
Seth Godin is the author of books that have been bestsellers around the world. The title of one of his free ebooks is called Everyone is an expert (about something) and in it he introduces readers to the creation of a Squidoo Lens.
Tim Ferris in his book Four Hour Workweek says you only need to know more than the average population on a topic to become an expert. His methods of gaining expert attention include:
- Joining 2 or 3 related trade organization;
- Reading 3 top selling books on your topic;
- Presenting 1 free one-to-three-hour seminar at the closest well-known university & using posters to advertise;
- ( Optional) Offering to write one or two articles for trade magazines related to your topics, citing what you have accomplished in steps 1 and 3 for credibility.
In my earlier post is a video of Tim Ferris’s speech from WordCamp San Francisco 2009 titled: How to Build a High-Traffic Blog Without Killing Yourself.
There are probably as many ways to becoming one as there are experts out there. Some of these ways keep being mentioned and to me they are the top three. The three activities you have to be doing to become an expert are: listening, communicating and creating. — Personal Branding: How to Be the Expert in Your Field
- Why Becoming an Expert in Your Niche is So Important
- HOW TO: Become an Expert in Your Industry
- How to Truly Become an Expert in Your Field
- 5 Ways to Use Blogs, Social Media to Become a Recognized Expert
- Guest Blogging : Guide to Leveraging Expertise & Influence
- Become the Blogging Expert in Your Own Niche by Running a Blogging Course