We’ve all heard the hype about making millions with our blogs but the fact remains that very few bloggers have the degree of expertise required to produce content that brings in the massive number of hits on advertisements that are required to make a living from blogging.
The make money blogging niche is the largest niche of all. The competition for readers is fierce and most traffic flows to the A and B list make money bloggers. Other bloggers within the niche tend to re-blog the content produced by the front runners, rather than creating unique content, and that has a negative effect on the niche as a whole, as readers become savvy to this.
The truth is that there are no shortcuts to making money from blogging. You need to have a knowledge base and skill sets that make it possible for you to “deliver the goods”.
- evaluate your theme and replace it if required
- structure a reader and search engine blog;
- recognize that content is king
- use keywords effectively;
- create unique, high quality content;
- practice the essentials when composing posts;
- select and link to appropriate anchor text;
- link to authoritative sources in your posts and blogroll;
- understanding reciprocal and non-reciprocal links and
understanding backlinks is essential
- deep link to your previous posts;
- develop a brief profile and online presence;
- develop a brief blog description (25 words or less);
- develop a brand;
- encourage comments and respond promptly and in a friendly manner;
- leave meaningful comments on related blogs and create blog centered relationships with other bloggers so you can build a blog readers’ community around your own blog and help them do the same around their blogs;
- join social networks and forums and use social media;
- promote your blog and increase traffic to it.
If you do all these things listed above, you will create a blog that’s worth monetizing. Then you will be ready to consider when and how to purchase your own domain.
Here at wordpress.com only certain types of blogs are allowed and blogger initiated advertising is not allowed on wordpress.com blogs. The only wordpress.com advertising exception at this time is for VIP blogs, and high traffic accepted into in the AdControl program. This is because wordpress.com already is already running advertising on our blogs.
In the case of bloggers who have placed advertising on their blog and who have been reported to Staff, a warning will be placed on their blog with a link in it for contacting Staff. Until the bloggers in question removes any advertising they have on their blog their blog will be suspended. If they refuse to comply, then Staff will delete the blog.
The option for purchasing a $30 per year upgrade to have a wordpress.com advertising free blog is available. It’s also possible that an upgrade to purchase an upgrade to allow advertising may be made in the future. However, at this point in time advertsing on a wordpress.com blog is taboo unless you are paying for a VIP account.