Lately I have been evaluating my current and previous theme with a mind set on changing to one that’s more effective. You may have noticed that wordpress.com has just introduced two new themes and that I’m using one of them. This theme called Albeo is a nice theme but I would prefer a magazine style theme that places my blog content above the fold. The only magazine style theme we have at wordpress.com is DePo Masthead which was launched today.
While surfing the net and educating myself about what criteria are important when considering the effectiveness of a blog theme, I was delighted to find what I consider to be an authoritative post on the subject to share with you. And, I’d like to ask you to join me by undertaking a theme evaluation. Please click the link below and read on.
Step one: Please read Evaluating the Effectiveness of Your Blog Theme.
Step two: Take a very close look at your blog own theme and then evaluate it based on the following 12 points. The word “effectiveness” is the key word when assessing the following points:
1. Is it search engine friendly?
2. How readable is the content?
3. How useful are the sidebars?
4. How will readers find your best content?
5. How is the quality of design compared to other blogs/sites in the niche?
6. How is the color scheme?
7. Is the theme unique?
8. How quickly does it load?
9. Does it quickly communicate to new visitors?
10. Is the comment section inviting?
11. Are pages being used effectively?
12. How intrusive are the ads?
Step three: Please answer these 4 discussion questions
- Did you think the article I linked to was useful or not?
- Do you have any additional points that were not covered and that you would like to share?
- Do you have any articles on the same topic that you would like to share?
- Will you be making any adjustments to your theme based on your evaluation?
Related posts found in this blog:
Blog Design: Which colors do you use and why
Why having a well designed blog is important
Widgets: Less is More
Swing into Summer: New Themes and Headers
How to structure a reader and search engine friendly blog
Building a blog with readers in mind