Technorati is a blog search engine. Technorati only searches in blogs, unlike Google which searches blogs and other types of websites. At Technorati, you can search for anything, just like you can search in Google but the Technorati will only return results from the in excess of 71 million blogs they have in their database.
WordPress pings Technorati automatically when you publish a post. Technorati operates on real time unlike Google so, your posts will appear on Technorati almost immediately and on Google days and even weeks later. However, as your blog increases in popularity, authority and page ranking the time lag for your posts appearing in Google searches will become shorter.
The Technorati Top 100 shows the most popular 100 blogs based on Technorati Authority and Technorati Rank is calculated based on how far your blog is from the top. The blog with the hightest Technorati Authority is the #1 ranked blog.
“Technorati Authority is the number of blogs linking to a website in the last six months. The higher the number, the more Technorati Authority the blog has.
It is important to note that we measure the number of blogs, rather than the number of links. So, if a blog links to your blog many times, it still only count as +1 toward your authority. Of course, new links mean the +1 will last another 180 days.” — Dorion Carroll, Technorati Weblog, May 5, 2007
WordPress blogging tips for increasing Technorati Authority and Rank
(1) Write often and write well about interesting subjects so, other bloggers will be attracted to what you write, and comment and/or link to your posts.
(2) Participate in blog carnivals. Blog carnivals list many blog posts submitted on a given topic.
(3) Technorati uses your categories as tags so be sure that the categories and tags that you choose to assign to each post are relevant to that post. See: WordPress.com tagging tips: don’t be a spam-dexer.
(4) Post tutorials on subjects that you are well versed in and you will increase your traffic and your Technorati Authority. When you teach people how to do things in your blog, most are grateful and they may add you to their blogrolls.
(5) Maintain and track your links using these blogging tools.