Updated November 23rd, 2014. I think this Beginner’s Guide will be helpful if you are looking for basic how to’s. I can also recommend a comprehensive tutorial. The Learn WordPress.com tutorial is divided into progressive levels and presented as a series.
In a nutshell promoting your wordpress.com blog will be more effective if you:
- Verify ownership of your blog with the major search engines- WordPress.com makes search engine verification easy; and note the factors that expedite search engine indexing of your content — OMG! I can’t find my blog on Google
- Link your wordpress.com username to your wordpress.com blog;
- Employ basic blog promotion strategies like creating an About page and including a blog description on it;
- Create blog title and tagline that define your brand;
- Focus on content creation – regularly publish high quality, original content posts and build a faithful readership;
- Tag your posts with categories that are specific to the topics in the blog post;
- Invest time and energy into relationship building by leaving meaningful comments on other blogs, in forums and on websites related to your blogging topics;
- Use wordpress.com in house promotion opportunities;
- Join social media sites like Twitter and other social networks and display sharing icons or buttons below your posts for visitors to use.